1. La Paz - Sorata (2700m/8.858ft) We leave La Paz in a private vehicle around 8h00. Our destination is the small village of Sorata situated at the bottom of a green valley at the foot of the imposing Illampu Massif (6368m/20.892ft). When the weather permits we can see its snow clad peak from the main square in Sorata. We spend the night in Sorata.
2. Sorata - Lacatiya (3900m/12.795ft) In the morning, after breakfast, we meet our group of mule drivers and after having charged the animals our trek starts. This first day of hiking will not be easy and we start with a long ascend to the Estancia Lacatiya which will be our first campsite.
3. Lacatiya - Paso Illampu – Estancia Utjaña Pampa (3900m/12.795ft) We start early by hiking to the Illampu mountain pass at 4750m/15.584ft from where we can see the north peak of the Illampu (6370m/20.899ft) and the Schulze Peak (5950m/19.521ft). We then walk down the northeast slope of the Illampu until the Estancia Utjaña Pampa. In this area you can find plenty small gold mines that are still exploited.
4. Estancia Utjaña Pampa - Aguas Calientes (4200m/13.780ft) In the morning we start by following the river Janq´u Uma (White Waters). We then ascend to the base camp of the Illampu, called “Aguas Calientes” (Warm Waters).
5. Aguas Calientes - Laguna Glaciar (5038m/16.529ft) - Laguna Chilata (4200m/13.780ft) While our mules are walking slowly down to our evening camp we set forth on a trail leading to the Laguna Glaciar. This lake, surrounded by the giants Illampu and Ancohuma, and where the glaciers fall into its waters, offers us a beautiful view on the Lake Titicaca and the valley of Sorata. We then walk down to the Laguna Chilata, to our camp.
6. Laguna Chilata - Sorata - La Paz We walk down to Sorata in the morning and in the afternoon the car takes us back to La Paz (3-4hrs) where the rest of the day is free. End of our services
Important: Itinerary can change as a result of weather conditions and some sights are not accessible at all times – Lipiko Tours cannot be held responsible for any changes in itinerary and sights not visited as a result.
Highlights: Royal Cordillera
Support Team: Specialised Spanish or English speaking guide depending on chosen option
Accommodation: 4 nights in tent (2 people per tent) and one night in hostal Attention: No possibility for single tent during this tour
Guaranteed departure: from 2 people
Group size: 2 to 8 people
Porterage: Your luggage will most likely be carried by mules or in some cases porters. Your personal equipment should not exceed 10kg/22lb. You will have to carry the personal equipment you need during the day.
Included in the price: - Transfers and transport as indicated in the day to day program - Private trek with local Spanish speaking guide or local English speaking guide (depending on availability Spanish speaking guide and English speaking translator) depending on chosen option - Camping - Porterage - Collective camping equipment - Meals mentioned
Not included in the price: - Obligatory personal travel insurance - Entrance fees to parks, sites and museums (allow for approx. 50 Bs, Bolivian national currency - this is an estimate and actual prices may vary) - Meals not mentioned, tips, drinks and other personal expenses - Personal equipment - Accommodation not mentioned