1. La Paz - Sorata (2700m/8.858ft) We leave La Paz in a private vehicle around 8h00. Our destination is the small village of Sorata situated at the bottom of a green valley at the foot of the imposing Illampu Massif (6368m/20.892ft). When the weather permits we can see its snow clad peak from the main square in Sorata. We spend the night in Sorata. .
2. Sorata - Lacatiya (3900m/12.795ft) In the morning, after breakfast, we meet our group of mule drivers and after having charged the animals our trek starts. This first day of hiking will not be easy and we start with a long ascend to the Estancia Lacatiya which will be our first campsite.
3. Lacatiya - Paso Illampu – Estancia Utjaña Pampa (3900m/12.795ft) We start early by hiking to the Illampu mountain pass at 4750m/15.584ft from where we can see the north peak of the Illampu (6370m/20.899ft) and the Schulze Peak (5950m/19.521ft). We then walk down the northeast slope of the Illampu until the Estancia Utjaña Pampa. In this area you can find plenty small gold mines that are still exploited.
4. Estancia Utjaña Pampa - Jiska Cocoyo (3900m/12.795ft) We start our hike after breakfast; around 8h00, by passing the Khorvasini mountain pass (4475m/14.682ft). From here we descend to the village of Cocoyo close to the Candelaria mines (3500m/11.483ft), from where we can see the Sarani valley to the east. To reach our camp we have to ascend another 400m.
5. Jiska Cocoyo - Paso Sarani - Valle Negruni (4350m/14.272ft) After breakfast we start by passing the Sarani mountain pass (4520m/14.829ft) on the slopes of Wiluyu Janq’uma. From here our descend takes us through a large valley to reach the village Chajolpaya (4090m/13.419ft). We then continue through the valley of Negruni, deeply embanked between the massifs Warawarani (5390m/17.684ft) and Filo Rumca (5510m/18.077ft), to finally arrive at our campsite in the middle of the valley.
6. Valle Negruni - Paso Calzada - Chojña Khota (4700m/15.420ft) We continue along the river Chajolpaya, by hiking parallel with the massifs San Pablo (5610m/18.406ft) and Umajalanta (5723m/18.776ft) before we start towards the Calzada mountain pass (5050m/16.568ft), situated between the mountains Kasiri (5860m/19.226ft) and Calzada (5650m/18.537ft). Our trek continues on the southwest mountainside of the Ancohuma and the descend takes us first to the Laguna Carizal and then the Laguna Chojña Kota where we set up camp.
7. Chojña Khota - Laguna Kacha (4500m/14.764ft) - La Paz From Chojña Kota (Green Lake in Aymara), we walk slowly down to the lake Kacha where we meet the car that will take us back to La Paz (3hrs). End of our services
Important: Itinerary can change as a result of weather conditions and some sights are not accessible at all times – Lipiko Tours cannot be held responsible for any changes in itinerary and sights not visited as a result.
Highlights: Royal Cordillera
Support Team: Specialised Spanish or English speaking guide depending on chosen option
Accommodation: 5 nights in tent (2 people per tent) and one night in hostal Attention: No possibility for single tent during this tour
Guaranteed departure: from 2 people
Group size: 2 to 8 people
Porterage: Your luggage will most likely be carried by mules or in some cases porters. Your personal equipment should not exceed 10kg/22lb. You will have to carry the personal equipment you need during the day.
Included in the price: - Transfers and transport as indicated in the day to day program - Private trek with local Spanish speaking guide or local English speaking guide (depending on availability Spanish speaking guide and English speaking translator) depending on chosen option - Porterage - Camping - Collective camping equipment - Meals mentioned
Not included in the price: - Obligatory personal travel insurance - Entrance fees to parks, sites and museums (allow for approx. 120 Bs, Bolivian national currency - this is an estimate and actual prices may vary) - Meals not mentioned, tips, drinks and other personal expenses - Personal equipment - Accommodation not mentioned